Tuesday, June 19, 2007

In Sickness and in Basements

Well, not-blogging didn't improve my not-writing situation, so I may as well fling more thoughts into the void from the Greenville Public Library.
The only thing going on right now is that I'm sick again.
I've been marking on my calendar when I jog, to make sure I'm actually going out more than once (which feels like three times, to me), and there are at least three gaps in the past two months, when I've suffered a thin, hot grizzly-drizzle. (And exhaustion.)
Now, more fodder for my morbid, fever-fueled fantasies: what if the apartment's making me sick? Like, with mold? It is a basement, with about three windows total. And sixty crickets (the spidery, cave-crickety sprickets), and slugs. SLUGS. I'm not kidding -- on the living room floor. So, it's pretty damp, too. (Why do you live there? It's $500 a month, and a mile from Main Street.)
One of my friends, a nurse, said, "I don't think you should live there at all, Sara. Not even for another week. Not even another day. So, what are your plans?" Ha, ha. But really, I don't know. Like, why didn't it strike all last year, while I lived there? Well, I lived in the room with the clothes dryer. Understandably a little less damp. ($500 a month, a mile from Main Street.)
However, the bottom line is that it sucks, being sick. The first day of my being sick, this time, I noticed a big, fleshy wood spider near my front door. Over-weary, I suffered it to live. The second day, like the discomfort in my gullet creeping from my sinuses to my throat, I realized it had stealthily moved from the front wall, to the side wall, above my dresser.
On the third day, as some thick substance resonated in my chest with each cough, I reached to answer my phone when The Sudden Spider! (an emotion in and of itself) It was on the curtain above my bed.
Unable to deal, I slept on the sofa.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Hey Saar,
Good to see you blogging again. I jsut subscribed to bloglines and put you on my blog roll so I can see at a glance when you update(so that makes me your first subscriber :)
Anyway, sorry to here that you're sick. You could find a halfway decent aboveground apartment for $500/month here sans mold (and slugs and crickets)Your nurse friend is right!
Em

Cindy said...

Hey, you're back!

We had a sporadic leak in our kitchen for a while. We thought it was fixed and then a few weeks later would end up with a puddle in our floor again. Long story short, it got under the linoleum and caused mold. It made us all sick, but especially me, and this was while I was pregnant! Scary!

Get out of there while you can!!!