Saturday, February 17, 2007

Ivan the Wonderful

My cat, Ivan, bites. I like to blame it on his declawing because it's a rabid pet peeve of mine, and I trash it at every opportunity. I think, mostly, though, he bites because he's a cat. I hate that he wants to bite my friends but, being a cat (which, to train, would take more thought than the brooding Jellicles'), I mainly ask people not to touch him, despite his fluffy body, bright, inquisitive eyes, etc.
He doesn't bite me. I stuff him in a tote bag when I take him to the vet. After a shot for athsma, once, he galloped down the examination table, smacking the vet's arm with inpotent paws. (Scared my vet to death! Guilty hilarity.) "Do you need help getting him back in that bag?" No, thank you. I just picked limp Ivan up, stuffed him in, zipped it.
All this to say, I'm coming to the realization I have an animal heart. Quick to bite, very hard to tame, wants to love slavishly, but surprised, hurt, bites. Fight, hide, survive.
I've called it by 100 self-flattering names, while leaving teeth marks in table legs. It's like, I mean what I say, in love, and usually don't regret it, I'm just sick of the words marching out fully armed, swords drawn, ready to kill or be killed ... Breaking it out of metaphor, I'm timidly quiet, often, in general, to muzzle a potential roar. (Oops. Back to metaphor.)
I'd rather lean more on Christ-love, growing like a spirit-fruit, saturating that part of my wierd, fearful heart. And not so fearfully aware of the fearful potentials of fear. I don't think the Spirit would bring it to my attention unless He could do it. To be tamed by Him, and tempered towards everyone else.
I liked this out of "Blue Like Jazz:" "We dream of Christ's love for His bride reading like Romeo and Juliet; two equals enflamed in liberal love. I think it is more like Lucentio's pursuit of Bianca in 'The Taming of the Shrew.' That is, the groom endearing the belligerent bride with kindness, patience and love." Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My fondest memories of your cats spring from the many times Rowena gently gnawed on my hair. I just avoided interaction with Ivan altogether; he always had a slightly crazed look in his eyes...which I think anyone would have if one's fingernails were pulled out and someone also cut your nuts off.

(I think the crazed look in your eyes is from something else altogether.)

Cindy said...

You know, you still sound just like you did in high school, only with more maturity, perhaps. :) It's been way too long!

Maybe Ivan does bite because he can't defend himself with his claws. That would be such torture, but I guess if he's inside all the time, he doesn't really need them. You can't blame it on Feline PMS since he is a male. Hmmmm, it's got to be something from his deep, dark past. Nah, it's probably just his personality!

I would have laughed about him swatting at the vet too. LOL!