Friday, January 12, 2007

Punk Write

I don't know if on-line guy-meeting is for me, because it involves writing. And writing's where I love to shout, rage, rave and basically, act the loon. I mean it! Everything I'm saying! With a world of thought and conviction! But the keyboard's still a 61-piece drum set, and I am the spiky-haired, tatted, two-drumstick-twirling punk. (Despite the limitations of my talent and skill.)
We're not entirely what we create, you know. I don't think Stephen King chats up the grocery clerk with, "Gray day outside! Kind of like the mottled coat of a ressurrected Yorkie." Monet wasn't a blurry smear of color; he didn't dash along hallways marking blurry smears, or smear YOU with blurry smears.
I once wrote to a guy I was just getting to know. A fellow creative. We ate supper one night, and the only thing I really remember him saying was a thin, dismissive: "weird." Which I've carried between my ribs since. Doubtless, something I'd written gave him that impression.
I have a few optional responses to my dilemma. Channel the inner Ritalin when it comes to the simple, communicative e-mail. Very good. Also, maybe I can do what the Apostle Paul couldn't even pull off: meld a mild personality with bold, vivid letter-writing.
I don't want to tame words, though. I want them to dance through a meadow like the townsfolk in the Safety Dance video. Give me a meldody -- a plot, a point -- and I'll crank it up as far as it'll go. Just be glad I'm not in your basement.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. It's strange that you seem so bizarre in your writing; yet, in person, you are so utterly plain-Jane.

Have you considered inhabiting a basement for some time just to write...or, better yet, a garret. All loony punked up writers must inhabit a garret for some time.

Cindy said...

"Purple-haired, rock 'n 'roll, construction-workin' mama"....Well, your first paragraph reminded me of that. Of course, *your* description is slightly different. :)

Just be yourself. Let others see the whole you, and someday the Magic Spouce will find you.....or God will bring you to him.

Have you read "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" by Joshua Harris? Myles and I both read that book....about 4 months before we met! It's an easy, quick read.

Online dating is probably a lot safer than the media would lead you to believe (I actually have a friend who got married 2 years ago to a guy she met online, and they seem pretty happy), but I just don't think it is *ideal*. Just be yourself and TRUST that God will bring you together in His time. In the meantime, put your whole self into serving Christ!

Tangeline said...

Amen, Cindy! Thanks.

And, weirdly enough, Mr. N, I do live in a basement! And write and write.